5 Ways to Set Up a VPN on a PC or Laptop, Can Be Without An App
Do you want to use a VPN? Virtual Private Network aka VPN is a service that facilitates users to browse various pages with other network servers. This feature allows you to surf to different countries in the world without being recognized. Some VPN apps also provide features that allow you to specify your location and choose your connection speed. Sophisticated, huh?
To activate the VPN, you’ll need to adjust the settings first. No need to worry, how to set up a VPN on a PC or laptop is quite simple. Follow these steps for more details.
How to Set Up a VPN on a PC or Laptop
VPNs are often associated with negative websites. In fact, a VPN itself has various benefits that are beneficial for internet users. Among them are data protection, browsing history and personal data, accessing useful pages that cannot be accessed, and providing a better gaming experience.
Well, before using a VPN there are steps that need to be done. Here’s a summary of how to set up a VPN on a PC or laptop that you can apply directly on your device.
1. How to use a VPN on a PC without an app
Good news for Windows 10 and 11 users! Device updates give you the facility to use the VPN without having to download third-party apps. The setup is also simple, just create a PPTP VPN account and do the Windows setup.
How to create a PPTP VPN account
- Visit the Tcpvpn.com page
- Select an available server group. Starting from Asian, American, European, American, to African servers. For example, this tutorial uses the Europe server
- Select a country that is in the server group. For example, choosing a UK VPN server
- Select one of the available servers. In this example using a UK VPN TCP Server > create a username and password
- Fill in the required form by entering the username and password > click ‘Create Premium Account’
- Wait for the registration process to complete and you will get the IP number and VPN server. Save it for the next step.
Enter the Windows settings
- Enter the Windows settings on the laptop
- Select the ‘Network & Internet’ menu
- Click the ‘VPN’ menu > ‘Add a VPN connection’
- Fill out the required form to register a new VPN connection. Enter the connection name and IP Address as you get when you register for a PPTP VPN account
- Click ‘Save’ to save the settings. The connection you just created will be included in the VPN list in the Windows settings
- Click ‘Connect’ to start the VPN connection.
After doing the steps above, you are already connected to the internet that is protected by a VPN connection. Go to the whatismyip.com page to make sure the VPN connection is fully active.
2. How to set up a VPN on a PC or laptop with OpenVPN
One of the popular VPN facility providers among both mobile and PC users is OpenVPN. Similar to the previous option, setting up a VPN on a PC or laptop with OpenVPN also requires an account and settings. It’s just that you need to download the OpenVPN app first.
How to create an account in VPNJantit
- Visit the www.vpnjantit.com/free-openvpn.html page
- Scroll down to find the available groups of VPN servers, namely Asian, American, European, American, and Australian servers. For example, this tutorial uses the Europe server
- Select a country that is in the server group. For example, choosing a UK VPN server
- Select one of the available servers. In this example using Free Premium UK2 > click ‘Create OpenVPN PremiUK2’ at the bottom
- Fill in the required form by entering your username and password > click ‘Create Free OpenVPN’
- Important! Don’t forget to download the configuration file by clicking ‘Download OpenVPN Config PremiUK2’ on the right inline with the account creation button
- Wait for the registration process to complete and you will get the IP number and VPN server, as well as the config file. Save for next step
- Extract the already downloaded config. file. Make sure to find the file with the .ovpn format, yes.
For the record, creating a free account at VPN Jantit is only valid for 3 days. For the rest, you can create a new account or buy premium features.
If so, download the OpenVPN app available on its official page, which is openvpn.net/download-open-vpn/. Next, select the available applications according to the type of PC or laptop, namely Windows, macOS, and Linux.
Go to the Windows OpenVPN app settings
When the installation of the application is complete, the next step is to make settings so that you can connect to the VPN server. How:
- At the bottom right, there is a row of icons that provide different menus. Click the triangle arrow and select ‘Show Hidden Icons’ to show the OpenVPN icon
- On the OpenVPN GUI icon, right-click and select ‘Import file…’
- Select the configuration file with the previously downloaded .ovpn file format > click ‘Open’
- Wait until the import process is successful
- If so, go back to the bottom right of the ‘Show Hidden Icons’ > > right-click on the OpenVPN GUI icon
- Select the ‘Connect’ option
- In the window that opens, enter the username and password obtained from the previous Jantit VPN account > click ‘OK’
- Wait until the OpenVPN GUI icon turns green, which indicates that you are already connected to the VPN server.
Just like the previous method, you can visit the whatismyip.com page to make sure the VPN connection is completely active. If the OpenVPN GUI icon turns yellow, it means that the VPN connection is paused and you need to reconnect to reconnect.
3. How to set up a VPN on a PC or laptop with Psiphon software
The application for setting up a VPN on the next PC or laptop is called ‘Psiphon’. This third option tends to be simpler because you can set up VPN connectivity from just one app. How:
- In order to connect to a VPN server, you need to download this application on the www.psiphon3.com/en/download.html page. Select the download file according to the type of device you are using. If so, do the installation until the application runs perfectly
- Run the downloaded Psiphon app
- Select the server from the country you want
- Click ‘Connect’ to connect to the server of choice
- Wait for the configuration to complete. If successfully connected, the description on the Psiphon application display will change to ‘Connected’ and you will be automatically redirected to the Psiphon page.
It’s easy, isn’t it? Again use the whatismyip.com page to check the VPN connection you have done.
4. How to set up a VPN on a PC or laptop with the Hide.me application
The next best PC or laptop VPN application that can be used is Hide.me. Connecting the connection to a VPN server using Hide.me is also quite short, how:
- Download and install the Hide.me app on www.hide.me/id/software
- If it’s already installed, run the app
- In the opening section, select ‘Start Your Free Trial’ or ‘Sign In Here’
- Click ‘Enable VPN’ to start enabling the connection to the VPN server
- Wait for the process until a connected confirmation appears marked with a green tick. That’s it.
You’re already connected to the internet using a VPN server. These steps are quite easy, especially since the application automatically connects without having to choose the server country first.
5. How to use the VPN Google Chrome extension
In how to set up a VPN on the last PC or laptop, you don’t need to install the application. However, you need to embed the extension available in Google Chrome. However, you can also use this method for other browsers. It’s just that as an example using Google Chrome.
There are many VPN extensions available on Google Chrome. You can find the appropriate extension on the https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/extensions page.
In this tutorial, IDN Times uses an extension called Touch VPN, yes.
- Go to the Google extensions page > search for the preferred VPN extension (Touch VPN) > install the extension. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen
- At the top right right right right next to the Google profile photo, select the extension option denoted by the puzzle icon
- Click the Touch VPN icon
- A new window will appear containing the connection button, just click ‘Connect’
- Wait for the connection process to succeed.
If it is successful, the window will show a ‘Stop’ button at the top right. This extension also provides Ad blocker, Trackers, Cookies, and Malware settings that you can use as needed. Complete, isn’t it?
That’s how to set up a VPN on a PC or laptop using an application or not. Some are simple as well as detailed. You can choose the easiest way according to your comfort and needs.